For Alberta Actions please click here.
Ontario “Education Sessions” Bill 87
Update May 30, 2017
Debates and Progress (including Hansard and Committee transcripts)
Committee Agendas (list of speakers called to the Committee)
2017-May-17 – Bill 87, Protecting Patients Act, 2017
2017-May-10 – Bill 87, Protecting Patients Act, 2017
2017-May-03 – Bill 87, Protecting Patients Act, 2017
2017-Apr-26 – Bill 87, Protecting Patients Act, 2017
2017-Apr-12 – Bill 87, Protecting Patients Act, 2017
Ontario government shuts down debate on short-sighted changes proposed in Bill 87 – Ontario Medical Association Press Release
Update April 5, 2017
Bill 87 “An Act to implement health measures and measures relating to seniors by enacting, amending or repealing various statutes” includes the education sessions amendment to the Immunization of School Pupils Act. This bill reached 1st reading on December 8, 2016. 2nd reading debate was on March 27, 2017. 2nd reading debate continued on April 3, 2017. The bill passed 2nd reading on April 4, 2017, and has been sent to Committee. Bill 87 passed 3rd reading and received Royal Assent on May 30, 2017.
Vaccine Choice Canada encourages Ontario residents to contact and/or meet with their MPPs. Links to an information package and vaccine overview are below:
Information Package for Ontario Members of Provincial Parliament (PDF with hyperlinked references)
Ontario residents can order a free print copy of the Information Package to give their MPP to educate them on this issue by sending us an email with your name & mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summary of Concerns – Bill 87 – Vaccine Choice Canada – submitted to the Committee May 3, 2017 (PDF)
Vaccine Overview: Civil Rights and Suppressed Science (PDF with hyperlinked references)
Ontario resident writes MPP Hoskins and Colle about proposed vaccine education sessions – sample protest letter
Locate your Ontario Member of Provincial Parliament here.
See Petition page for further details here.
From Session 2, Parliament 41:
December 6, 2016 – petitions read into the Ontario Legislature – link to the Hansard here.
Response from the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care Dr. Eric Hoskins April 4, 2017 (PDF)
From Session 1, Parliament 41: July 2, 2014 – September 8, 2016
May 31, 2016 – petitions read into the Ontario Legislature – link to the Hansard here.
June 1, 2016 – petitions read into the Ontario Legislature – link to the Hansard here.
There was no response from the government to the Session 1 petitions.
History of Bill 198 and Now Bill 87 ISPA amendment (Education Sessions)
*Ontario Alert* – Update May 2016
The government of Ontario has tabled legislation (Bill 198) promised in their announced plan to amend the ISPA (Immunization of School Pupils Act) with a measure restricting students’ access to vaccine exemptions. The amendment would force parents seeking a personal belief or religious exemption to undergo a vaccine “education session” before being allowed to file a vaccine exemption for non-medical reasons. If passed, the amendment will be a green light for other provinces to impose similar restrictive measures.
Ontario Update June 2016
Some good news from the National Post!
Ontario bill to force parents to take course before exempting children from vaccines won’t pass this spring
While the National Post article states that Bill 198 will not be in place for the next school year (September 2016), the bill can be advanced in the Fall of 2016, or Spring of 2017. Please continue to sign petitions and meet with your MPPs (details below).
Update October 13, 2016*
The Ontario Legislature was Prorogued when they returned from their summer break on September 12. If the government had been able to get all parties to agree to bring Bill 198 forward, the Immunization of School Pupils Amendment Act (ISPA), 2016, would have stayed as is – Bill 198. This has not happened. The only bill brought forward from the previous session is Bill 64. This means that Bill 198 is currently “dead”. However the Ontario Liberal government has announced (December 8, 2016) they plan to re-introduce the ISPA Educations Sessions Act as a new bill, which would mean it will get a new Bill number for which we remain alert. **Note, update Dec. 19, Bill 87 “An Act to implement health measures and measures relating to seniors by enacting, amending or repealing various statutes” includes the amendment to the ISPA.**
Update December 19, 2016
Bill 87 “An Act to implement health measures and measures relating to seniors by enacting, amending or repealing various statutes” includes the education sessions amendment to the ISPA.
Ontario MPPs who refuse to sign legal vaccine exemption affidavits
See the full list of known MPPs that to refuse to assist their constituents by acting as Commissioner of Oaths for their exemption forms here.
Letter to Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne re: the office of former Ontario’s Education Minister, MPP Liz Sandals refusal to act as a Commissioner of Oaths for the Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief form 4897-64E (2013/08) under the Immunization of School Pupils Act. (PDF) – December 2015 Jan 7, 2016 Response from Kathleen Wynne. (PDF)
Letter to Ontario MPP France Gelinas (Sudbury), NDP Critic for Health and Long-‐Term Care, re: her refusal to act as a Commissioner of Oaths for her constituents wanting to complete the Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief Form 4897-64E (2013/08) under the Immunization of School Pupils Act. (PDF) – December 2015
Letter to Liz Sandals, Ontario MPP and former Minister of Education re: her refusal to act as a Commissioner of oaths for her constituents wanting to complete the Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief Form 4897-64E (2013/08) under the Immunization of School Pupils Act. (PDF) – December 2015
**Update** Alberta Bill 28 has received Royal Assent and is now in force.
Alberta residents, you can continue to contact Premier Notley with your Bill 28 concerns – you may use this template letter:
Template letter to Premier Notley for Alberta residents (thanks to Jen for this letter)
Join the Albertans Against Bill 28 Public Facebook Group
Further reading on Bill 28 ….
Alberta introduces new bill to increase vaccination rates for children – New measures tighten rules for immunization disclosure by parents but stop short of mandatory vaccinations – CBC
Press release from the Alberta government: Improved childhood disease protection behind Bill 28 – The Public Health Amendment Act would mean a faster response to vaccine-preventable outbreaks in schools.
Text of the bill: Bill 28: Public Health Amendment Act, 2016 (PDF)
Doctor’s Call for Mandatory Vaccine Based on Irrelevant Data – Dr. Ellen Burgess, from Foothills Medical Centre in Calgary, called for mandating vaccinations for school children in a video interview and news article posted on Global News on October 31, 2016. Her ostensible reason was information in a new study. Vaccine Choice Canada responds.
Letter to Prime Minister Trudeau and Health Minister Philpott (PDF) – February 2016
Health Minister Philpott’s reply to Vaccine Choice Canada (PDF) – May 2016
Related VCC Links
- VCC Response to 2017 Ontario Vaccination Exemption Form (9/24/2017)
- Alberta Health & Calgary Herald – provide risk information of vaccine during pregnancy (8/14/2017)
- Ontario Bill 87 – Concerned Grandmother’s Appeal to Legislative Committee (6/1/2017)
- Ontario Bill 87 – Thoughtful submission ignored by Legislature (5/31/2017)
- Ontario Bill 87: A Registered Nurse’s Perspective (5/23/2017)
- Summary of Concerns Ontario Bill 87 – Vaccine Choice Canada (5/16/2017)
- V-Bulletin March/April 2017 (4/13/2017)
- VCC responses to Bill 87 Committee: Where there is Risk there Must be Choice (4/13/2017)
- Media Misinformation (3/14/2017)
- Ontario Resident Writes to Health Minister Hoskins re: Education Sessions (1/24/2017)
- Template letter to Premier Notley re: Alberta Bill 28 Public Health Amendment (11/28/2016)
- Alberta Public Health Amendment Bill 28 Questions – Letter to Premier Notley (11/28/2016)
- CBC Advocates for Erosion of Charter Rights (11/16/2016)
- V-Bulletin October/November 2016 (11/15/2016)
- V-Bulletin September 2016 (9/8/2016)
- VCC Holds Federal Health Minister Accountable (7/27/2016)
- 18 Facts the Ontario Government Likely Won’t Tell You in their ‘Vaccine Education Sessions’ (7/20/2016)
- Suggestions for Submissions to the Legislative Committee on Bill 198 – Now Bill 87 (5/29/2016)
- Ontario Health Unit Issues Illegal School Suspension Orders (5/19/2016)
- V-Bulletin – Spring 2016 (5/13/2016)
- Ombudsman Complaint – Ontario Ministry of Health Deceiving Canadian Parents (5/9/2016)
- Petition to the Ontario Legislature opposing mandatory vaccine “education sessions” (3/30/2016)
- Ontario Politicians – Separating personal beliefs from civic duties (1/27/2016)
- Ontario resident writes MPP Hoskins and Colle about proposed vaccine education sessions (1/25/2016)
- VCC Educates Politicians on Constitutional Rights (10/5/2015)
- Urgent Question to Canadian Political Parties re: Mandatory Vaccination (9/24/2015)
- Petitioning Canadian Medical Association No Vaccine Mandates in Canada! (8/23/2015)
- Our letter to the CMA re Resolution for Mandatory Vaccination (8/20/2015)
- VCC writes to Ontario MPPs (2/26/2015)