Exemptions from vaccinations
Vaccinations are NOT mandatory in Canada. “Unlike some countries, immunization is not mandatory in Canada; it cannot be made mandatory because of the Canadian Constitution. Three provinces require proof of immunization for school entrance: Ontario and New Brunswick for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, and rubella immunization; Manitoba for measles. But, exceptions are permitted on medical or religious grounds and reasons of conscience; legislation and regulations must not be interpreted to imply compulsory immunization.” (Immunization in Canada; May, 1997; Vol 23S4 and Canadian National Report on Immunization; 1996).
[2014 Please note Manitoba no longer has legislation for school entry vaccination for measles, vaccination is voluntary in Manitoba. Please see this link at the Province of Manitoba’s website: Do we have to get immunized? – No, immunizations are voluntary in Manitoba.]
This means that nobody in Canada can be forced to receive a vaccination. In some cases, nursery schools, daycares, and other schools which are privately owned and operated can demand vaccination for enrollment. But publically-funded schools and daycares cannot.
Furthermore, Canadian Medical Law clearly states that healthcare recipients must be informed of all significant risks posed by any invasive medical procedure that carries a risk of injury or death. Vaccination is such a procedure; every Canadian must have received and understood all the information that is pertinent to the vaccination(s) to which they consent.
Related VCC Pages
Related VCC Links
- V-Bulletin April 2015 (5/1/2015)
- V-Bulletin March 2015 (4/1/2015)
- V-Bulletin February 2015 (2/28/2015)
- Mandated Vaccinations (2/25/2015)
- Examining the Rationale for Mandatory Vaccinations (2/25/2015)
- Talking Points (2/23/2015)
- Expanded Talking Points (2/23/2015)
- Analysing the Mandatory Vaccination Position (2/23/2015)
- Why We Have Vaccination Exemptions in Canada (2/23/2015)
- Negotiating Vaccine Exemptions (10/7/2013)
- Articles Supporting Healthcare Workers’ Right to Informed Consent (9/26/2013)
- Healthcare Workers’ Right to Informed Consent & Freedom From Forced Influenza Vaccination (9/13/2013)
- Letter to Ontario’s Chief Medical Health Officer (10/2/2008)
- Health Officials Violate the Public Trust (10/2/2008)
- Forced rubella shots termed illegal (5/13/2005)