Is there a pandemic?
The World Health Organization (WHO) has classified the 2009 spread of a novel H1N1 avian/swine/human influenza virus as a ‘pandemic’. But numerous doctors have remarked that it has been no more deadly or disabling than seasonal influenza virus that circulates yearly. Although, for most of us, ‘pandemic’ implies death, its dictionary meaning is simply “widespread” or “widespread disease”. An analysis of influenza death statistics since 1900 has shown that, except for the 1918 pandemic, pandemic deaths were no more than and sometimes fewer than, those in non-pandemic years.
“Sometimes you get the feeling that there is a whole industry almost waiting for a pandemic to occur. The WHO and public health officials, virologists and the pharmaceutical companies. They’ve built this machine around the impending pandemic. And there’s a lot of money involved, and influence, and careers, and entire institutions! And all it took was one of these viruses to mutate to start the machine grinding.”
When did development of H1N1 pandemic vaccine begin?
In 2001, Canada became the first nation to sign a contract for purchase of a pandemic vaccine. At that time, health officials were concerned about an “imminent” bird flu pandemic. Since that pandemic never happened, the H1N1 pandemic will allow the contract to be used before it expires in 2011.
The first detected case of the current pandemic occurred in Mexico in April, 2009. In the last few years, GlaxoSmithKline, the maker of Canada’s pandemic vaccine, has been testing many different formulas of influenza vaccine containing adjuvant (immune system stimulant). Health Canada expects to approve the H1N1 pandemic vaccine based on those trials and a trial of the new H1N1 formula performed on a mere 100-200 Canadians. Human trials only just began in mid-August. It’s unethical to recommend a vaccine which hasn’t even received the usual minimal safety testing let alone long term testing.
Will I be able to refuse?
Except for emergency situations, vaccinations are not mandatory in Canada. But it’s possible that some provincial governments will declare an emergency and mandate vaccination. Last year BC adopted laws which allow mandated vaccines and/or quarantine during a pandemic. Nova Scotia has had similar laws since 2003.
Canada is a signatory to the International Health Regulations which could allow the WHO to mandate vaccines worldwide. Even if you live in a province which has no emergency health powers you could still be forced to receive the vaccine.
“Rats injected with either squalene or squalane all developed experimental allergic encephalomyelitis…The injected animals were left hobbled, dragging their paralyzed hindquarters through the wood chips in their cages. The UCLA team had found what it was looking for: oils that induced autoimmune disease”
Is forced vaccination likely?
No. A major obstacle to this is the refusal of healthcare workers to be vaccinated. Even though they are invariably expected to be first to receive vaccines, surveys have shown only about 50% accept the annual flu shot. They’re even less likely to want an untested vaccine. It’s doubtful authorities would risk a massive health workers’ strike by attempting to forcefully vaccinate them. As well, other citizens who have educated themselves about the vaccine and decided against it will find strength in numbers.
When will it be given?
It’s uncertain: perhaps at the same time as the annual flu shot, perhaps later, perhaps never. It’s also unclear how many doses will be given. Initial reports indicated two shots but recent news indicates only one may be given. The limited number of doctors and nurses available to inject the entire population could cause delay. The WHO has recommended that healthcare workers be vaccinated first, and, unconscionably, that children and pregnant women be next in line after them.
“My argument is that it’s wrong to lead the public to believe that the vaccine will be a ‘magic bullet”. Nobody knows that”
What are the vaccine risks?
Aside from risk due to completely inadequate testing, we cannot be sure of all the risks due to ingredients because there’s no monograph available for this unlicensed vaccine. We do know that Canada has ordered a vaccine containing the adjuvant AS03.
AS03 contains squalene, a substance which has been linked to Gulf War Syndrome. Squalene is an oil which is naturally present in human and animal brain and nerve tissues. When injected, it can cause autoimmune disease. Polysorbate 80 is another risky component of AS03. And, as is the yearly flu shot, the ‘pandemic’ vaccine will most likely be preserved with the mercury compound, thimerosal.
Because the vaccine is unlicensed, there has been no post-marketing surveillance to discover long term risks. Reports from this would undoubtedly reveal numerous types of adverse events and deaths resulting from or contributed to by the vaccine.
The addition of yet another vaccine to crowded vaccination schedules will increase overstimulation of the immune system resulting in brain cell death and possible neurodegeneration, increased allergies and even more autoimmune disease.
There is a precedent for pandemic influenza vaccine disaster. In 1976 USA initiated a nation-wide vaccination campaign to counteract what was perceived as a life threatening outbreak of swine influenza. In those who were vaccinated, there were 58 deaths and more than 550 cases of Guillain-Barré paralysis, attack and death rates about ten times greater than that which occurred prior to the campaign. The swine flu pandemic never occurred.
“I won’t get one until there have been a million doses given and there is evidence it is safe.”
What are the pandemic risks?
In mid-August Dr Richard Schabas, an Ontario medical officer of health, noted that the WHO predicted there will be a slight increase in influenza cases this winter. But he countered, “In fact, I think it’s much more likely that what we’ll see will be milder than that because a lot of people in Canada are already immune to this virus.”
Some of those who are immune have already been infected and recovered; others were born before and lived through the 1957 pandemic.
Would the vaccine prevent infection?
As of mid-August, there was no human trial data by which to judge this. Some research even shows that mass vaccination could lead to an increase of infection by giving rise to a mutated vaccine resistant influenza virus. Poor efficacy has been consistently shown by comprehensive reviews of data on the annual flu shot. That vaccine isn’t boosted by adjuvant. But, even if AS03 is found to increase antibody response would that compensate for the future chronic, possibly life threatening disease it could deliver?
How else can I protect myself?
The preventive measure advised most often is frequent hand washing. Hand washing is part of a healthy lifestyle which also includes sufficient rest, exercise, emotional well being, some form of spiritual practice and a healthy diet.
Vitamin D, preferably from exposing skin (without sunscreen) to early morning and late afternoon sunshine, has been newsworthy for many health benefits. Vitamin C has been used with great success against infections. Numerous other vitamin, mineral and herbal supplements and homeopathic remedies are available to help.
Please note that recent British research and Japanese and other evidence indicates that the oral antiviral drug, Tamiflu, is unsafe.
Your tax dollars are funding a vaccination campaign costing $400 million-plus against a risk that is unquantifiable using a vaccine for which any possible benefit also cannot be quantified. By maintaining a healthy lifestyle you can always be prepared to prevent or mollify most disease, infectious or otherwise, with minor expense.
Is There a Pandemic?
- ‘Study challenges notion of ‘pandemic’ flu: CDC-labeled pandemics no deadlier than seasonal influenza’
When did Development of H1N1 Pandemic’ Vaccine Begin?
- Canada virtually sure to roll out H1N1 vaccine this fall: Butler-Jones’ by Helen Branswell; Canadian Press Jun 25, 2009 (article is no longer online)
- Novel Use US Patent Application 20090028903 by GlaxoSmithKline Biologics; filed 04/16/2008, published 01/29/2009
- ‘Swine flu vaccine fast-tracked in Canada, U.S., Europe’; The Canadian Press; July 29, 2009, 3:50 PM ET
- ‘Swine-flu vaccine now being tested on humans’; CBC News; August 14, 2009, 5:31 PM ET
Will I be able to Refuse?
- ‘New powers to quarantine may be tested in flu outbreak’; The Canadian Press; August 2, 2009, 10.08 AM ET
Is Forced Vaccination Likely?
- ‘Mass health-worker absenteeism feared: Doctors and nurses’ aversion to flu shots endangers plan to vaccinate them first so they are able to treat others’ by Patrick Brethour, Justine Hunter and Katherine O’Neill; Vancouver, Victoria and Edmonton; July 20, 2009 11:39PM EDT
When will it be Given?
- ‘Canada to order 50.4 million H1N1 vaccine doses’; CBC News; August 6, 2009 | 9:45 PM ET: “The vaccine order is large enough to give one dose to every Canadian, or two doses to 75 per cent of the population, he [Dr David Butler-Jones] said.”
- ‘Canada’s latest flu challenge: distribution’ by Caroline Alphonso; The Globe and Mail; August 23, 2009, 8:47 PM EDT
- WHO Press Conference; July 13, 2009 [52 KB PDF]
What are the Vaccine Risks?
- ‘Rich countries shouldn’t get pandemic vaccine first: Gates Foundation exec’ by Helen Branswell; August 13, 2009: “Butler-Jones has also said Canada will respond to the WHO‘s call for countries to use strategies to minimize their vaccine needs and will buy vaccine boosted with GSK’s AS03 adjuvant.” [article no longer available online]
- Vaccine – A by Gary Matsumoto; Chapter 3: The Greatest Story Never Told
- Novel Use US Patent Application 20090028903 by GlaxoSmithKline Biologics; filed 04/16/2008, published 01/29/2009; Table 63; AS03
- ‘How Vaccines Can Damage Your Brain’ by Russell L Blaylock, MD
- Statistics re 1976 Swine Flu Campaign: The Coming Plague by Laurie Garrett, 1994; pg 181.
What are the ‘Pandemic’ Risks?
- ‘Schabas adamant in refuting pandemic fears’ by Steve Pettibone; The Belleville Intelligencer [article is no longer online]
- ‘Worst case: 1 million with H1N1 in BC’ by Pamela Fayerman; The Vancouver Sun; August 29, 2009.
- ‘Study challenges notion of ‘pandemic’ flu: CDC-labeled pandemics no deadlier than seasonal influenza’ – MIT News [link no longer available]
Would the Vaccine Prevent Infection?
- ‘Swine Flu Vaccine – A Public Health Experiment’; VRAN website; Breaking News: see references 16, 3 and 15
How Else Can I Protect Myself?
- ‘Swine Flu Vaccine – A Public Health Experiment’; VRAN website; Breaking News: see references; Additional Reading