- ‘ASIA’ – Autoimmune/Inflammatory Syndrome
- Macrophagic Myofasciitis
- Multiple Sclerosis and Demyelinating Disease
- Rheumatic Disease
- Other Autoimmune Diseases
- Specific Vaccines and Autoimmunity
- General Autoimmunity Issues
‘ASIA’ – Autoimmune/Inflammatory Syndrome
- Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia With Chronic Fatigue After HPV Vaccination as Part of the “Autoimmune/Auto-inflammatory Syndrome Induced by Adjuvants”
- Video Q & A: what is ASIA? An Interview with Yehuda Shoenfeld In recent years, Professor Shoenfeld noted that four conditions: siliconosis, Gulf War syndrome (GWS), macrophagicmyofasciitis syndrome (MMF) and post-vaccination phenomena were linked with previous exposure to an adjuvant, and that the patients also presented with similar clinical symptoms. In 2011, this led Professor Shoenfeld to suggest these comparable conditions should be grouped under a common syndrome entitled ‘ASIA’, for ‘Autoimmune (Autoinflammatory) Syndrome Induced by Adjuvants’.
- When APS (Hughes Syndrome) met the autoimmune/inflammatory syndrome induced by adjuvants Herein we discuss this topic in relation to post-vaccination-induced antiphospholipid antibodies following tetanus toxoid vaccine, HBV [Hepatitis B Virus] and influenza associated in rare cases with antiphospholipid syndrome clinical manifestations. We will discuss the possible mechanisms which pertain to ASIA (Shoenfeld syndrome).
- Vaccine model of antiphospholipid syndrome induced by tetanus vaccine
- ‘ASIA’ – Autoimmune/Inflammatory Syndrome Induced by Adjuvants
- The spectrum of ASIA: ‘Autoimmune (Auto-inflammatory) Syndrome induced by Adjuvants’
- ASIA: A New Way to Put the Puzzle Together: Autoimmune (autoinflammatory) syndrome induced by adjuvants provides a diagnostic framework for enigmatic conditions
- Induction of the ‘ASIA’ syndrome in NZB/NZWF1 mice after injection of complete Freund’s adjuvant (CFA)
- The common immunogenic etiology of chronic fatigue syndrome: from infections to vaccines via adjuvants to the ASIA syndrome
- Shoenfeld’s Syndrome After Pandemic Influenza A/H1N1 Vaccination
- Human Adjuvant Disease Induced by Foreign Substances: A New Model of ASIA
- Gulf War Syndrome as a part of the autoimmune (autoinflammatory) syndrome induced by adjuvant (ASIA)
- Adjuvant Immunization Induces High Levels of Pathogenic Antiphospholipid Antibodies in Genetically Prone Mice: Another Facet of the ASIA Syndrome
- Autoimmunity Following Hepatitis B Vaccine as Part of the Spectrum of ‘Autoimmune (Auto-inflammatory) Syndrome Induced by Adjuvants’ (ASIA): analysis of 93 cases
- Pertussis infections, vaccines and Type 1 diabetes
- Clustering of cases of type 1 diabetes mellitus occurring 2-4 years after vaccination is consistent with clustering after infections and progression to type 1 diabetes mellitus in autoantibody positive individuals
- Clustering of cases of insulin dependent diabetes (IDDM) occurring three years after hemophilus influenza B (HiB) immunization support causal relationship between immunization and IDDM
- Vaccines and the risk of insulin-dependent diabetes (IDDM): potential mechanism of action
- Italian pediatric data support hypothesis that simultaneous epidemics of type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes/metabolic syndrome/obesity are polar opposite responses (i.e., symptoms) to a primary inflammatory condition
- Mercury Exposure Increases Diabetes Risk by Teresa Conrick
(An additional diabetes resource is the list of studies by immunologist, JB Classen MD
(Also see Cumulative Effects.)
- Macrophagic myofasciitis: characterization and pathophysiology
- Lessons From Macrophagic Myofasciitis: Towards Definition of a Vaccine Adjuvant-Related Syndrome
- AlOH3-adjuvanted vaccine-induced macrophagic myofasciitis in rats is influenced by the genetic background
Multiple Sclerosis and Demyelinating Disease
- Immunization of patients with autoimmune inflammatory rheumatic diseases (the EULAR recommendations)
- Chronic Arthritis after Rubella Vaccination
- Autoimmune response following influenza vaccination in patients with autoimmune inflammatory rheumatic disease
- Giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica after influenza vaccination: report of 10 cases and review of the literature
Other Autoimmune Diseases
- Characterization of antigen-presenting dendritic cells in the peripheral blood and colonic mucosa of patients with ulcerative colitis
- Aluminum as an adjuvant in Crohn’s disease induction
- Aluminum is a potential environmental factor for Crohn’s disease induction: extended hypothesis
- Antibodies to Saccharomyces cerevisiae in Crohn’s disease: Higher titers are associated with a greater frequency of mutant NOD2/CARD15 alleles and with a higher probability of complicated disease (See the first page of the product monograph for Merck’s Recombivax HB® Hepatitis B vaccine which states, “The antigen is harvested and purified from fermentation cultures of a recombinant strain of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae… ”)
- Polymerase chain reaction detection of the hemagglutinin gene from an attenuated measles vaccine strain in the peripheral mononuclear cells of children with autoimmune hepatitis
- Early Childhood Membranous Nephropathy Due to Cationic Bovine Serum Albumin Although further epidemiologic studies are needed, absorption of dietary modified bovine serum albumin and immunization against bovine serum albumin should be considered a potential cause of membranous nephropathy in young childre… (Note that the authors do not mention that bovine serum albumin is a residual contaminant from the manufacturing process of some vaccines, eg Pediacel® and Varivax®III.)
Specific Vaccines and Autoimmunity
- Autoimmune hazards of hepatitis B vaccine
- Vaccine Model of Antiphospholipid Syndrome Induced by Tetanus Vaccine
- Influenza vaccination can induce new-onset anticardiolipins but not β2-glycoprotein-I antibodies among patients with systemic lupus erythematosus
- Influenza and autoimmunity Influenza is not frequently implicated as a trigger for autoimmune diseases, but case reports of autoimmune adverse events have been published even following influenza vaccination.
- On the relationship between human papillomavirus vaccine and autoimmune disease Along with the introduction of the HPV vaccines, several cases of onset or exacerbations of autoimmune diseases following the vaccine shot have been reported…This vaccination program, however, has been introduced in a population that is at high risk for the onset of autoimmune disease…A solid evidence of causal relationship was provided in few cases in the examined studies, and the risk vs benefit of vaccination is still to be solved. The on-going vigilance for the safety of this vaccine remains thus of paramount importance.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus following HPV immunization or infection? This report describes three patients with either newly diagnosed systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) or SLE flare, following vaccination for human papilloma virus (HPV).
- Early diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccination associated with higher female mortality and no difference in male mortality in a cohort of low birthweight children: an observational study within a randomised trial
- Effects of diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis or tetanus vaccination on allergies and allergy-related respiratory symptoms among children and adolescents in the United States DTP or tetanus vaccination appears to increase the risk of allergies and related respiratory symptoms in children and adolescents.
General Autoimmunity Issues
- Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae autoantibodies in autoimmune diseases: from bread baking to autoimmunity Saccharomyces cerevisiae is best known as the baker’s and brewer’s yeast, but its residual traces are also frequent excipients in some vaccines. Although anti-S. cerevisiae autoantibodies (ASCAs) are considered specific for Crohn’s disease, a growing number of studies have detected high levels of ASCAs in patients affected with autoimmune diseases as compared with healthy controls, including antiphospholipid syndrome, systemic lupus erythematosus, type 1 diabetes mellitus, and rheumatoid arthritis.…Our results strongly suggest that ASCAs’ role in clinical practice should be better addressed in order to evaluate their predictive or prognostic relevance. Also see ‘Yeast in Vaccines Tied to Autoimmune Diseases’.
- Vaccines and autoimmunity
- Vaccine-induced Autoimmunity
- Mechanisms of aluminum adjuvant toxicity and autoimmunity in pediatric populations
- The Emerging Link Between Autoimmune Disorders and Neuropsychiatric Disease
- Self-Organized Criticality Theory of Autoimmunity Systemic autoimmunity appears to be the inevitable consequence of overstimulation the host’s immune ‘system’by repeated immunization with antigen, to the levels that surpass system’s self-organized criticality.
(Another resource regarding Autoimmune Disease is Teresa Conrick’s list of thimerosal-related studies at http://www.ageofautism.com/2013/03/since-1938-there-have-come-to-our-attention.html)