(sent Oct 16)
The March 4/08 Calgary Herald reported, “Health Canada has completed a review of three batches of mumps vaccine, determining it is safe for public use.” Since Sept/07, Alberta had recorded 382 cases of mumps. The MMR which media misleadingly named “mumps vaccine” was withdrawn in Dec/07 after six Albertans suffered anaphylaxis during mass vaccination campaigns. Posters featuring pairs of flaming balls had been used to encourage young men to get the shot but, after the injuries, only babies were vaccinated, using a different “approved” batch of MMR. Now, after the cosmetic “safety review”, teens and young adults are once again being vaccinated.
VRAN was told of a teenage Albertan quarantined at home for two weeks after testing positive for mumps. His family was told that their children would be apprehended and taken to hospital if they didn’t follow the quarantine order. Meanwhile, on March 10/08 The Chilliwack Progress signaled that mumps outbreaks which had started last year in the Maritimes had reached BC with “five lab-confirmed cases” reported.
If the young people now getting mumps had been left unvaccinated as children, they may have contracted mumps then, but would most likely have suffered no long term effects. They probably would have avoided a more dangerous case of late-onset mumps and would definitely have avoided a vaccine adverse event.