Vaccines commonly required for entry into various types of post secondary education and for healthcare workers (HCWs) pose an especially thorny dilemma for those who would choose to remain unvaccinated. They must decide between accepting vaccination and running the risk of being fired or refused entry to an education facility, or submitting to a vaccine which could possibly cause them harm and/or contravene their personal beliefs.
Health authorities use this dilemma to coerce HCWs and students into submission to their vaccination dictums. Their exaggeration of the dangers of infectious diseases and claims about the value of ‘herd immunity’ cause fear in the general populace and thereby exert further pressure to submit. If the authorities could succeed in maintaining mandates for healthcare workers (HCWs) and students, they’d likely try to extend mandates to other sectors of the population. For instance, everyone who entered a hospital might be required to provide documentation of up-to-date vaccinations or have them updated at the door; ditto for anyone entering an educational institution which mandates vaccines. Ultimately, health authorities’ problems convincing knowledgeable consumers of a need for vaccines would be solved: everyone would be forced to accept them!
But, luckily, we still live in a relatively democratic society. Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects the life, liberty and security of the individual as well as freedom of conscience and religion. Vaccine mandates violate these fundamental guarantees and have no place in a free society. Canadian Medical Law grants the right of freedom to choose concerning procedures such as vaccination which carry the risk of injury and/or death. In this section of our website, we detail the reasoning behind disallowing vaccine mandates.
Related VCC Links
- VRAN introduces new pages (10/8/2013)
- Negotiating Vaccine Exemptions (10/7/2013)
- Healthcare Workers Organize in Protest of Vaccine Mandates (10/7/2013)
- Articles Supporting Healthcare Workers’ Right to Informed Consent (9/26/2013)
- Healthcare Workers’ Right to Informed Consent & Freedom From Forced Influenza Vaccination (9/13/2013)
- BC backs off (12/3/2012)
- Hyping influenza deaths (11/11/2012)
- Forced Flu Vaccination of Healthcare Workers Threatens Health and Liberty (9/14/2012)
- Lawsuit Seeks Justice for Vaccine Injury Victim (6/25/2009)
- Forced School Vaccination Without Parental Consent (12/8/2008)
- Influenza & Nursing Home Deaths (9/29/2008)
- Labour Board Rules for Health Workers (9/29/2008)
- Mandatory Flu Shot Not Justified for Health Care Workers (9/13/2005)
- Forced Vaccination Violates Basic Rights (11/13/2000)
Related External Links
- RN for CHOICE. Challenging mandatory influenza mask or vaccinate policies
- ONA [Ontario Nurses Association] Wins Landmark Influenza Vaccine-or-Mask Grievance – September 10, 2015 – Click here for the full decision (pdf)
- More Than 22,000 Brave Nurses Refusing to Submit to Mandatory Vaccinations